Given below are a collection of recipes created by the chefs/faculty at The Nutrition and Nutraceutical Research Centre (NNRC), Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences (RUAS) during the workshop that was conducted as a run up event for the upcoming Organics Millets International Trade Fair 2018 (OMITF2019) scheduled for Jan 18th-20th, 2019, at the Bangalore Palace grounds
The workshop details can be found here.
Millet Paddu and Savory Pancake
|Split black gram (urad dal)||25g|
|Pressed rice (avalakki)||25g|
- Wash once and soak the millet, black gram, brown rice, pressed rice for 2 hrs. Place it in a blender with very little water.
- Grind smoothly and transfer to a container.
- Mix well and set aside for 2 hrs. After 2 hrs mix well again, add a pinch of cooking soda and heat the paniyaram pan, pour 1/4 tsp oil in each shallow and pour this batter.
- Cook covered in medium flame for 2 minutes. Flip and add more oil or ghee and cook until it turns golden brown.
Millet savory vegetable pancake –
|Mixed whole/powdered millet||1 cup|
|Grated carrot and green bell peppers||1/4 cup|
|Vegetable oil||2-3 tbsp.|
|Black pepper powder||1 tsp.|
|Grated ginger||1/2 tsp.|
|Baking powder||1/2 tsp.|
|Water to soak whole millet|
- We have used a combination of three millets (Sorghum, Kodo and Pearl millet) and Barley in this recipe.
- Wash soak all millet in clean water overnight.
- Peel and grate one carrot, a small piece of ginger and a few florets of Broccoli.
- Drain the water and grind the millet with yogurt into fine batter. Add a little water if you feel the batteris too thick. The batter should be of pouring consistency.
- Take out the millet batter in a large bowl, add pepper powder, grated ginger, salt and combine well.
- Heat a griddle, pour a ladle of millet batter on it and drizzle a few drops of oil around the pan cake. Add grated carrot, broccoli and sesame seeds over the pan cake and cook for 1-2 minutes on medium heat.
- Flip the pan cake and cook the other side also for a minute. Make all the pan cakes in the same way.
- Serve the savory millet pancakes with herbed cottage cheese spread, green mint-coriander chutney or chilled yogurt Raita.