Millet Lavang Latika and Bajra barfi – OMITF2019
Given below are a collection of recipes created by the chefs/faculty at The Nutrition and Nutraceutical Research Centre (NNRC), Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences (RUAS) during the workshop that was conducted as a run up event for the upcoming Organics Millets International Trade Fair 2018 (OMITF2019) scheduled for Jan 18th-20th, 2019, at the Bangalore Palace grounds
The workshop details can be found here.
Millet lavang latika –
|Foxtail millet flour||60 grams|
|Baking Powder||½ tsp|
|Salt||1 small pinch|
|water to knead dough|
For stuffing –
|Scraped Coconut||50 grams|
|Grated Khoya||100 grams|
|Green Cardamom powder||a pinch|
|Nutmeg powder||1 pinch|
For sugar syrup:
|Vegetable oil for deep frying|
- Take a bowl and add foxtail millet flour and maida, Salt, Sugar, Baking Powder & Ghee and mix them together. Now add water little by little to make a firm dough.
- Knead the dough well and apply some oil in your hand and rub on the dough and cover it and keep aside.
How to make the Stuffing:
- In a pan add all the ingredients of Stuffing and mix them together with a spoon. Turn on the heat and put the pan on the heat.
- Cook the Coconut mixture on medium heat, stirring constantly to prevent burning at the bottom. At first coconut will release lots of water, slowly evaporate the water and make a soft but not watery mixture by stirring constantly. Turn off the mixture and let the mixture cool down.
- Now make small balls from the dough, roll each dough in a small circle,place 1 tablespoon of the stuffing at the center of the circle and apply a little water at the edge of the circle.
- Now take the edges and bring to the center just like an envelope shape and stud with a Clove to secure the stuffing. Make rest of the Lobongo Lotikas just like this one.
- Now make the Syrup. Take a pan, add sugar, water, crushed cardamom and mix them all together and stir till the sugar dissolves. Now put the pan on medium heat and bring the syrup to a nice boil. Boil the syrup for 10 minutes to make it sticky.
- Heat enough Vegetable oil in a deep frying pan on medium heat. The oil should not be smoky. Add 3-4 Lobongo Lotika at a time, fry them on low heat to make them crispy.
- When the Lobongo Lotikas turn golden in colour take them out from the pan and add to the syrup. In this way make the rest of the Lobongo Lotika. After 10 minutes of adding the Lobongo Lotika to syrup, remove them and keep aside. Let Lobongo Lotikas cool.
- Serve when well cooled.
Bajra barfi –
|Pearl millet flour||200 grams|
|Jaggery grated||100 grams|
|Khoya grated||70 grams|
|Cashew nuts||10 no|
- Heat ghee in a non-stick kadai. Add bajra flour and sauté for 6-8 minutes. Add khoya and jaggery and mix. Switch off the heat and continue mixing.
- Grease an aluminium tray with ghee and spread the mixture evenly. Cut into squares while still hot. Garnish with fried cashew nuts.
- When it cools down separate the squares and arrange on a serving plate.